CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework with a very small footprint, built for PHP coders who need a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications. If you’re a developer who lives in the real world of shared hosting accounts and clients with deadlines, and if you’re tired of ponderously large and thoroughly undocumented frameworks
CodeIgniter is right for you if…
- You want a framework with a small footprint.
- You need exceptional performance.
- You need broad compatibility with standard hosting accounts that run a variety of PHP versions and configurations.
- You want a framework that requires nearly zero configuration.
- You want a framework that does not require you to use the command line.
- You want a framework that does not require you to adhere to restrictive coding rules.
- You are not interested in large-scale monolithic libraries like PEAR.
- You do not want to be forced to learn a templating language (although a template parser is optionally available if you desire one).
- You eschew complexity, favoring simple solutions.
- You need clear, thorough documentation.
Code Igniter is very fast, and to take advantage of that speed, UnixGuru uses LiteSpeed web server, faster than either Apache or NGINX, to keep your code running quickly.
Features in and of themselves are a very poor way to judge an application since they tell you nothing about the user experience, or how intuitively or intelligently it is designed. Features don’t reveal anything about the quality of the code, or the performance, or the attention to detail, or security practices. The only way to really judge an app is to try it and get to know the code. Installing CodeIgniter is child’s play so we encourage you to do just that. In the mean time here’s a list of CodeIgniter’s main features.
- Model-View-Controller Based System
- PHP 4 Compatible
- Extremely Light Weight
- Full Featured database classes with support for several platforms.
- Active Record Database Support
- Form and Data Validation
- Security and XSS Filtering
- Session Management
- Email Sending Class. Supports Attachments, HTML/Text email, multiple protocols (Sendmail, SMTP, and Mail) and more.
- Image Manipulation Library (cropping, resizing, rotating, etc.). Supports GD, ImageMagick, and NetPBM
- File Uploading Class
- FTP Class
- Data Encryption
- Full Page Caching
- Error Logging
- Application Profiling
- Calendaring Class
- User Agent Class
- Zip Encoding Class
- Template Engine Class
- Trackback Class
- XML-RPC Library
- Unit Testing Class
- Search engine Friendly URLs
- Flexible URI Routing
- Support for Hooks, Class Extensions, and Plugins
- Large library of “helper” functions
Codeignitor can be installed and updated using the Softaculous Plugin that is provided with all of our Shared & Reseller hosting accounts, taking out much of the overhead of maintaining a framework and keeping it up to date.
Our PHP Selector, allow you to change the version of PHP to choose between versions 4.4, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6. & 7.0
This allows you to run your legacy code, but also check that you modern code will still run on the next version of PHP.